¾ lb. medium red beets
¾ lb. medium golden beets
2 tbsp. minced shallot
1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme, 3 – 4 sprigs
½ tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
3 oz. watercress or arugula
¼ cup crumbled soft goat cheese
¼ cup coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
1. Pre–heat oven to 425°F.
2. Wrap red beets and golden beets separately in foil packets. Drizzle beets in each packet with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
3. Roast beets until fork tender, about 35-45 minutes. Allow beets to cool, remove skin and cut into cut into 1 ½ inch chunks.
4. In a small bowl add the shallots, thyme, mustard and sherry vinegar. Slowly add olive oil in steady stream while whisking, season with salt & pepper. Alternately, add all ingredients to a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake vigorously.
6. Dress greens modestly with the vinaigrette, add golden beets to a small bowl and mix with vinaigrette. Add red beets to another small bowl and mix with vinaigrette. *Beets are dressed separately so to maintain color of golden beets.
7. Arrange greens on a platter with beets then sprinkle on goat cheese and pistachios.
*Candy cane beets sliced thin on a mandolin is a nice addition to this salad if you can find them.