3/4 cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups white granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
3 large eggs
1 can (15 ounces) good quality pumpkin puree, I recommend Libby’s
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup regular milk with 1 tbsp. vinegar), separated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups white all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. allspice
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 package (8 ounces) full fat cream cheese, softened
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream the softened butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add in the pumpkin, buttermilk, and vanilla
extract, mix thoroughly to combine.
4. In another bowl, combine the flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix. Add the dry
ingredients to the wet ingredients in three parts, until all ingredients are combined. Be sure to scrape down the
sides with each addition to ensure mixture is thoroughly combined.
5. Fill the prepared muffin tin liners three-quarters of the way full (this batter makes exactly enough for 24
cupcakes). Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes
before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
6. For the frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and
cinnamon; beat until completely smooth then frost the cupcakes.
Makes 24 cupcakes