4 pounds chicken*
1 large onion, quartered
4 carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2
4 ribs celery, cut in 1/2
1 leek, white & green part, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
10 sprigs fresh thyme
10 sprigs fresh parsley with stems
2 bay leaves
2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
2 gallons cold water
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Add chicken to a large sheet tray. Drizzle chicken with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast for about 20 minutes until chicken is brown.
3. Combine the roasted chicken and vegetables to a large stock pot along with the thyme, parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns and garlic. Add the water making sure the bones and vegetables are completely covered.
4. Bring the stock to a boil over medium high heat then turn down to a simmer. Simmer the stock uncovered for at least 4 hours.
5. Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer into another large stockpot or heatproof container discarding the solids. Cool immediately in large cooler of ice or a sink full of ice water to below 40 degrees.
* You can use chicken carcasses, wings, drumsticks or thighs. You may also use bones from a rotisserie chicken.