1 lb. Honey Crisp apples (about 3 to 4 medium)
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp. orange zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. all – purpose flour
1 1/2 cups all – purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tsp. orange zest
1 tbsp. Grand Marnier or Orange Juice
1. Pre – heat oven to 350°F.
2. Peel, core and cut apples into small chunks. Place the apples and cranberries into a large bowl and add the zest, sugar, flour and vanilla extract. Mix all ingredients then pour into a 9” x 12” baking dish.
3. Prepare the topping: Combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed for about 1 minute until the mixture is in large crumbles. Sprinkle evenly on top of fruit, covering completely.
4. Place dish on a sheet tray to catch any juices that may spill over. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until top is brown and fruit is bubbly.
5. For the whipped cream: Add the cream, confectioner’s sugar, orange zest vanilla and Grand Marnier (or orange juice) to a medium bowl and beat on high speed until soft peaks form.
Serves 10 (2 tbsp. per serving)